Sunday, January 20, 2008

Do we ever learn from the past?

Jimmy Carter In 1980 was our party's sitting president at that time and I opposed him during the primaries, because I knew he could not win in the general election against Reagan. In 1984 I opposed Mondale because once again I knew he could not win. In 1988 I opposed Dukakis. I knew he could not win. In 2004 I opposed John Kerry I knew he could not win. However, being a good Democrat I supported most of these good people in the general election, even when I knew they did not have much of a chance.

If John McCain wins in South Carolina tonight, he will most likely become the Republican's nominee. I hate to say it, Hillary will loose in a general election against McCain, and for that matter Obama would too. Most polls would back me up on my last point.

John Edwards is the only Democrat at this stage that can beat John McCain
I have not given up on Edwards. I will stay with him if he stays with us.

This is a message to the Democratic Party's power brokers. When our party goes down in defeat in November loosing another presidential election. The day after the election I don't want to hear, from anyone that is in a power position with in The Party asking the question, what happen?

In 1988 we thought we had that election in the bag. We had a two term Republican President ready to leave office, our nominee was up by 20 points in the polls that summer before the election, and we lost in November. if Hillary or Obama receives our party's nomination, we might as well forget about the entire south from Missouri southward, leaving our party with little margin for error. Yes I have been down this road to many times before. I hope I am wrong. I don't want to say I told you so.

No comments: